subrequested from r->uri

1224135428000 » Tagged as: weird

Having looked through some of the python introductory guides. I decide that my deep end of the pool is going to Python Server Pages. Since I am more skilled at web apps and desktop apps this is the logical choice however. I couldn't quite get off to an auspicious start - even my hello world resulted in a 500 internal server error. Of course this is not a problem with the language or my code ( I just cut and pasted the sample) but with the server configuration. Ever since upgrading from Fedora 32 to Fedora 64 bit, I have been having all sorts of wierd problems and had to completely remove all PHP related RPMs and install them all over again to get some of the PHP modules working as they should. While the browser displayed the dreaded 500 error, the apache log file had this:

Request exceeded the limit of 10 subrequest nesting levels due to probable confguration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace.

Then the error changed to something more cryptic.

[Sat Oct 11 19:34:53 2008] [debug] core.c(3048): [client 192.168.1.198] r->uri = /work/python/ [Sat Oct 11 19:34:53 2008] [debug] core.c(3061): [client 192.168.1.198] subrequested from r->uri = /work/python/ [Sat Oct 11 19:34:53 2008] [debug] core.c(3061): [client 192.168.1.198] subrequested from r->uri = /work/python/ While scratching my head, I moved up the directory tree and to my dismay found that the 500 internal server error is still there. And now the log file says:

[crit] [client 192.168.1.198] (13)Permission denied: /var/www/saadhu/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

This is an error that I have seen more than once. The first time was when I moved from apache 1.3x to apache 2x and on the other occasions it was invariably after some mishap which resulted in my having to restore the sites either from backups or subversion. The solution is trivial (or so I thought).

chgrp apache /var/www/* -R

Certainly the erorr about .htaccess no longer shows up, but the earlier one - the subrequested error shown above, now crops up for every request. So it's back to square one.

comments powered by Disqus