Gnome and Mozilla

1093119293000

My previous blog entry was made after I had reinstalled some of the older (v1.x) gnome RPMs and cajoled mozilla into starting up. I continued with the compilation of the new version while browsing. In the middle of all that the browser suddenly browser disappeared from the desktop. Attempts to restart would result in the following error

Gtk-ERROR+**: Unable to load default font

Unfortunately google wasn't much help so I decided to look for more suspect gnome libraries and reinstall them. The prime suspect was gnome-libs-1.4.1.2.90-32.i386.rpm but it had a few dependencies so I ended up doing.

rpm -i RedHat/RPMS/gnome-libs-1.4.1.2.90-32.i386.rpm

rpm -i RedHat/RPMS/ORBit-0.5.17-7.i386.rpm

rpm -i RedHat/RPMS/GConf-1.0.9-10.i386.rpm

rpm -i RedHat/RPMS/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-13.i386.rpm

And the reluctant mozilla (mozilla 1.7) to be exact agreed to start up again. It's such a relief not having to browse with Konqueror. Though konqueror is my default file manager, it's not the best web browser available for the linux desktop.

And while all this was happening, version 2.6 installation came to a halt with the following error.

/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/liblinc.la: No such file or directory

libtool: link: `/usr/lib/liblinc.la' is not a valid libtool archive

make[3]: *** [libthemus-theme-properties-view.la] Error 1

make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnomesrc/control-center-2.6.1/vfs-methods/themus'

make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnomesrc/control-center-2.6.1/vfs-methods'

make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnomesrc/control-center-2.6.1'

make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

God knows why it's looking for an la but I managed to dig it up in the ORBit2-2.10.2 source tree - obviously the make install step had not copied it to the lib folder. After doing that manually the compilation of the control-center, which gave the hiccup went to it's completion.

The same cannot be said about the make install step. It complained about a missing '.libs/libthemus-theme-properties-view.lai' this is something that's supposed to have been created in the make but it hasn't happened. Closer inspection revealed that a missing intltool tool might be the culprit here so I installed 'intltool-0.30' and managed to clear up the problem.

That wasn't the end of it, the liblinc error appeared again I finally managed to bury it for good by changing into the ORBit2-2.10.2/linc2 directory and hitting make and make install.

comments powered by Disqus